Thursday, March 3, 2016

Neko Atsume - Just discovered this little gem/ cat trap!

For a person reviewing game and random content with cats, I should have been aware of this little Japanese beauty. Apparently it's been extremely popular in Japan since 2015 but I feel like a lot of people are still to discover this mobile game.

Neko Atsume was introduced to me by a colleague who, like me, is very much into cats. I rarely listen to people and I am kind of reluctant whenever someone gives me tips or recommendations so I was prepared to try this game and forget about it instantly. I really thought that's what I would do, even after the first day playing with it. However, I never deleted it and am now opening the app several times a day. There is really no wrong way to play Neko Atsume and that's what I love about it. No matter if you want to spend 2 minutes a day on it, you will still enjoy having it on your phone. I am sure you can climb the levels and get rewards and advance well in this game, but I currently really do not care. The appeal of this game for me is just opening the app and seeing a cat or two playing or lazing in my yard. Oftentimes, I will open the app and not see any cats at all. This makes the discovery of new cats a great treat.

There's not a lot to do in Neko Atsume at first. You get a little yard and some money (fish) to buy some items to furnish your cat trap. Your goal is to attract as many cat to your yard as possible so you can receive rewards to purchase MORE goodies and yard extensions etc. The only other feature available is to take pictures of the cats that decide to visit you. Of course, you need to catch them while they're around! That's the fun! Ok, it doesn't sound that great, but the game is free, extremely easy to pick up and play whenever you want. You do not need to spend hours and hours playing it to get instant gratification and fun. To me, that's what a great mobile game is. To be honest, I'd rather spend hours on a story driven console game. I want my mobile game to just be handy when I stop at a red light (oops, sorry!). Here is my video review for Neko Atsume but spoiler alert, I give it 4/5 cats! Mainly because I was disappointed at first that I couldn't do anything with the cats once they were in my yard. However, I quickly understood that this was not the game's point. Have you guys played this already? Have you even heard of this before? Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment