Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Street Fighter V - No no no. Nope. No.

I love fighting games. I cannot count how many hours I spent on Dead or Alive when I was 12. I loved the crotch to throat grab and the stairs kicks (made up names by me), those were the good days. I more recently had a blast with MKX, even though everybody kept killing me. I still came 3rd at my company's tournament but I have played online, I am not delusional. However, MKX totally got me back in that "fighting game" mindset that I sort of lost along the way and I was excited to see Street Fighter V at E3 last year. I got to play the Beta about 6 months ago too and based on that, I am never buying this game. I have to say, I don't think I have ever played a Street Fighter game, apart from maybe once at an Arcade when I was 9 and was bored of hitting the walls playing the racing games. Either car or bike, I am shit at both. I am, by no means, a fighting game connoisseur but I have played my fair share and I have strong opinions so I am going to say what I need about Street Fighter. No matter if they introduced new mechanics, they are still freaking useless. I cannot play this game for the life of me and even though they apparently wanted to make it easier to pick up for casual gamers, I am not sure they achieved it. At least, even if you were a complete novice at MKX, you could throw things like kicks and simple punches. Yeah, I tried that, didn't work so well in Street Fighter. The dude did NOTHING. Granted, I played the Beta, so perhaps I shouldn't even be writing this but when I saw that the game was out on Gamefly, I wanted to rant about it. And this is my blog, so I do what I want!

Also, what kind of graphics are those. Again, nostalgia, staying true to the franchise, blablabla. Sure. However, I feel like fighting games that look like cartoons have no appeal whatsoever. It's fair to say that realism is not all that matters to create a good fighting experience, otherwise I would be playing WWE every single day, but I like my badass fighters to be believable people. I would have been totally fine with the design if the mechanics and fluidity of the game were good. But they're not. It's ugly and clunky and slow and non fun. Apparently, the core of the game is not very exciting either and is mainly geared towards knowledgeable Street Fighter players who want to compete. Well, if they keep the franchise this way, it might die with those old Street Fighter players from 1987. How old are they now anyway?
Suffice it to say that I am not buying this game, I hate it, and as a lover of fighting games, I will go back to playing MKX tonight. I am not giving it cats because I don't really deserve to rate it as I have not played it but I had to rant. Have any of you already played the final version of the game? Is it less slow as fuck?

No comments:

Post a Comment